Monday, November 30, 2009

De-bunking Bra Myths

Bra Myths oftentimes stand in the way of us purchasing and wearing the bra that will optimize our assets.

1.  If my bra leaves red marks on my body, it is too small.
Socks leave red marks, as do some panties.  Even a hair band temporarily stationed around my wrist leaves red imprints on the skin and it does not indicate that the band is too constricting.

2.  Making the straps tighter on my bra will lift my bustline.
Tightening the straps positions the bra better on the body, causing the cup to encapsulate the breast tissue more effectively.  But the straps don't affect the height of the bustline as much as A)  snugness of band, B) the best bra cup for your body, and C) the natural placement of the bustline on your torso.

3.  I have to wash my bra after everytime I wear it.
In the heat of the Texas summer sure, wash your bra if its covered with sweat.  Otherwise, use discretion to judge when its appropriate to wash your bras.  If worn for a half day in mild weather, washing is unnecessary.

4.  A bra expires after a certain date.
We have clients wearing bras that are five years old.  Bras come and go out of rotation in our wardrobe for various reasons:  weight changes, lifestyle changes (pregnancy, etc.) or we choose to stop wearing it for some other reason.  When a bra is consistently uncomfortable, then it has expired.

5.  The band should be comfortably loose.
The worst offender of all!  Just a couple of weeks ago an acquaintance mentioned she had gone up from a 34C to a 36C because the 34 *felt* too tight.  While I knew this wasn't the right move for her, being a C cup its not quite as imperative to have a snug band. 


Do you know of more bra myths?  Have I omitted one that really bugs you?  If so please share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 
coompax-digital magazine